Monday, June 13, 2011

While I'm Waiting...for the weekend to get here.

Well I'm already slacking on the blogging. Oh well.

I started my internship at Twist last week. Thankfully I only work two days a week so I have plenty of time to be lazy and explore this concrete jungle.

Let's just say the first day didn't start off well. I have to be at work by 10 a.m. so I left my apartment at 8:20ish to be on the safe side. I walked in the blazing heat four blocks to the train. It's like rush, rush, rush to get there and wait. Hurry up and wait. Hurry up and wait. Kinda annoying but whatever. So I ride the train all the way from 14th Street to 175th Street so there are lots of stops along the way. Well,  just one stop before I'm supposed to get off and I hear "to avoid train traffic, everyone must get off at this stop and wait for the next train". ONE STOP before I get to where I need to be! By this point I am freaking out that I'm going to miss my 9:30 bus across the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey. The next bus comes at 10:10...great. So I exit the train and waited for the next. Still sticky from the heat, I get on the next train and then race to my platform at the bus terminal praying they aren't on schedule because it is now 9:40...no luck. So again I play the waiting game. Thankfully the next bus came sooner than it was scheduled for but I was still ten minutes late for my first day. Who would have thought it would take me nearly two hours to get to work?!

Random side note: It absolutely amazes me how there can be well over 100 people in my car on the train and everyone sits in complete silence! That's not me at all! I've been known to be chatter box since I was little and it's just awkward to sit in silence, especially since you are so closely packed in the train car. It drives me crazy! Get some social skills people!

When I finally arrived on my first day I was warmly greeted by Emily, an assistant editor. I immediately knew I'd love my job when I had a poster of Justin Bieber in my cubical. He instantly made things better ha!  I write for the blog on the website so I had to research some news on celebrities to put on there. I also boxed up clothes we used in the fashion shoot to send back to the companies. Basically I was just learning the ropes of the place. BUT the most exciting part of my day was the Justin Bieber stickers, tattoos and nail decals that I received!!! Be jealous!

While on the ride home a legit model sat next to me on the subway. I mean she had to have been well over six feet tall and about 100 pounds. So to make myself feel better, I exited the train and walked to get a cheeseburger.

Thursday at work was interesting. I got to interview Katherine McNamara who is on the new Disney show, Madison High. It's supposed to be the new High School Musical. She was so sweet, friendly and mature beyond her years. She also is going to be in the film, New Years Eve which is similar to He's Just Not That Into You and Valentine's Day. So she was among lots of big names. So fingers crossed Madison High gets picked up permanently by Disney!

Later in the day I was assigned to do a phone interview with Austin Stowell. He is currently on The Secret Life of an American Teenager. He also is promoting his first movie that he filmed with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd. Its Dolphin Tale that comes out in September. It looks like I may need some tissues when I go to see that one. He was so easy to talk to. It was so interesting to hear about his time with Morgan Freeman. For Twist I had to ask about his ideal date, his most embarrassing moment and his first kiss. He laughed and told me the story of his first kiss. Well oddly enough yesterday my roommates and I were talking about the season premiere of Pretty Little Liars on Tuesday. They have never watched it. I said it was not like The Secret Life. Hannah said, "Oh I know a guy on that show". Turns out it was Austin who went to her high school. She then says, "My sister was his first kiss". She had no idea I had even talked to him, let alone had made him tell me that very story! Small world!

Anyways, back to work. After interviewing these people I had to transcribe them on the computer. TOOK FOREVER! I stayed about thirty minutes late and then realized I was the last one there. I walked to the bus station in the pouring rain! Thankfully I had my umbrella. I waited about fifteen minutes and I finally see my bus approaching the stop. So I stood up and it sped right past me, didn't even slow down. I sit back down to wait some more. So in the pouring rain, by myself, I wait and wait. I begin to think another bus isn't coming and I'm stuck in Jersey with no way to get home and it's raining so of course I do what any girl would do and I begin to cry. Irrational thoughts flood me that I'll have to walk home and it may take me all night, or I'll have to sleep in my building if it's still unlocked. Obviously none of that happened and another bus came, just way later than it was supposed to.

Well those were some adventures from my first week of work. I'm sure something more exciting will come up but that is all I have for now. Stay tuned for hopefully some bigger and more eventful times in the Big Apple!

XOXO
Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment